White Onion Soup Recipe
• 4 oz (100g) unsalted butter
• 4 large onions, sliced
• 3 peeled garlic cloves
• 2 leeks finely sliced (white parts only)
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 1 pint (600ml) good vegetable stock
• Freshly ground salt and pepper
• 3½ fl oz (100ml) double cream
• 1 tablespoon of truffle oil
• Heat the butter in a medium-sized pan, then add the onions, garlic, leeks and celery . Cook over a low heat until soft but not coloured.
• Add the stock, season well and then simmer for 15 minutes.
• Remove from the heat and process using a hand-held blender.
• Pass through a sieve, reheat and add the cream. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.
• Serve with a swirl of truffle oil (approx. ½ a teaspoon per serving)